Click Above Photo to Visit the American Tennis Association (ATA)


Welcome Tennis Lovers!!

Angela Haynes Blogs For USTA Pro Circuit

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Day 1, Monday, Feb. 4:

I finally made it to Midland, Mich. I had the worst and longest flight ever. I left LA at 9:55 p.m. to land in Atlanta at 4:30 a.m. and have a 5-hour layover. Talk about tired! I slept the whole way to Midland, so I was good once I got to the courts.

There is snow everywhere. I love the snow, so it isn't a problem for me. When I got to the tennis center, I sat down and watched my doubles partner, Mashona Washington, play. She lost in the third, 6-7. What a tough match she played.

I had my first hit at 4. The courts here are so fast, so it took me a minute before I got my rhythm. I was spraying balls all over the place for a good 20 minutes. After that I played some points, and everything started to fall into place. I am feeling really strong and good about myself, too, so I think that I should have a good week.

This tournament is run so well, and the atmosphere is great. They treat us like real professionals here, so I am excited to play this week. I am glad that I don't play tomorrow so that I can get an extra day to practice and get used to these fast courts.

After my hit, I went back to my housing and relaxed for a while before I had some dinner. I am staying with some friends here – the Mils Family. The boys love me. They are so energetic, so I am playing with them most of the time when they get home from school. There was a players’ party tonight that I didn't go to because I was just too sleepy.

I need to get some rest now, so this is the end of my first blog. I hope that you enjoyed it. Don't worry, the others will be more interesting.

Day 2, Tuesday, Feb. 5:

What a long day. I slept like a baby fresh out of the womb. I was up at 8:15 and on my way to the courts at 9. All I had was a handful of Lucky Charms and then was on my way out the door.

I got to the courts at 9:25 and had to go to Auburn Elementary School to talk to 90 fifth graders. I was nervous, but they were actually easy to talk to and very funny. They interacted with me a lot, so my hour went by pretty fast. I even got a little love letter from a boy -- how cute! They're so innocent at that age, then something goes terribly wrong.

After my talk with the children, I went back to the courts and watched a few matches, since I am playing a qualifier in the first round. I had to hit at 12 p.m., and there was so much confusion on that because the girl that I had to hit with at 1 p.m. wanted to at 12 instead, for 45 minutes. That was fine with me because I was hitting for two hours, anyway.

My first hit (Victoria Kutzova) said that she didn't mind switching the time, but apparently she did because I ended up hitting with her at 12, anyway, and she and the other girl ended up having an argument on court. I could care less because I still got my hits in.

My hit with Victoria went pretty smoothly. I am playing well, but I am still trying to get used to these fast courts. I should be good by tomorrow, now that I figured out that I play Neha Uberoi. I have played her once before a few years ago, and I beat her. I am just going to play my game and give 110 percent.

I am second on after 10 in the morning for my singles, then I have doubles fifth on, so I am going to warm up at 9:30. I am playing doubles this week with Mashona Washington. I think we will do well.

My day was about over around 7 p.m. I finally made it home, then I had some dinner, which was pasta with red sauce and a salad.

I am so tired today because I spent most of my day at the tennis center. I think that I will head to bed around 8, like a usually do.

Well, good night everyone. Talk to you tomorrow.


Posted by Shelia

Email this post
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Design by Blogger Buster